Ideas for Alternative Holiday Gift Giving
December 19, 2011
Alternative Holiday Gift Giving and Community Services – Do Something Different this Year!
During this holiday season, some creative people are thinking about linking individual and family gift giving to community services. For example, maybe Uncle Harry would be happy to know you gave $25 to the local food pantry in his name rather than receive yet another tie. Maybe Aunt Martha would be pleased to know you gave toys to needy children in her name rather than receive another pair of slippers. And so on… Here are some other ideas for alternative giving:
• More US families and children than ever before are going hungry. During the holidays, volunteer and/or give to soup kitchens and food banks in your neighborhood! Also see the web site: Feeding Americans at http://feedingamerica.org/#
• Donate a new, unwrapped toy (preferably books, puzzles or other non-lead-containing items) to the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program at http://www.toysfortots.org/about_toys_for_tots/toys_for_tots_program/default.asp or other reputable organization as a Christmas gift to needy children in the community.
• Take up a collection at work and donate the cash to the local homeless shelter.
• Support the troops by donating phone cards to the USO so that they can call home over the holidays or give other gifts or care packages. Go to http://www.uso.org/ to see the 12 Days of USO Wishbook and learn what troops are wishing for this holiday season.
• Purchase holiday cards from the March of Dimes and 20% of the net proceeds from this card program will directly benefit the work of the March of Dimes. Click here to view and order cards online.