Alternate Gift Ideas for the Holidays!
December 7, 2012
During this holiday season, some creative people are now thinking about linking individual and family giftgiving to community services. For example, maybe Uncle Harry would be happy to know you gave $25 to the local food pantry in his name rather than receive yet another tie. Maybe Aunt Martha would be pleased to know you gave toys to needy children in her name rather than receive another pair of slippers. And so on…
Here are some other ideas for alternative giving:
· Donate to the American Red Cross for the victims of Hurricane Sandy – they need your help!
· More US families and children than ever before are going hungry. During the holidays, volunteer and/or give to soup kitchens and food banks in your neighborhood! How to Feed Hungry Americans
· Donate a new, unwrapped toy (preferably books, puzzles or other non-lead infected items) to the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program or other reputable organizationas a Christmas gift to needy children in the community.
· Takeup a collection at work and donate the cash to the local homeless shelter.
· Support the troops by contributing to the USO Wish List - donating phone cards to theUSO so that they can call home over the holidays or give other gifts or carepackages
· Purchase holiday cards from the March of Dimes and 20% of the net proceeds from this card program will directly benefit the work of the March of Dimes